Throughout the whole period in which my professor taught us what corruption is, my unchangeable and obstinate stance has been this: ” You cannot achieve a Nation that is free from corruption solely by using force. Even if the goal is achieved, it will be for a short term. Long term loyalty and sincerity is not enforced, but infused. This infusion is done at best when a mother herself teaches her kid these values and tells her kid to be proud of keeping these values. One may not listen to his/her teacher, but as a mother is the first teacher, she can give her children these values. When a Nation is corrupt, then corruption can be observed at all levels. From extremely rich people to extremely poor people.People are dishonest. insincere, disloyal and corrupt even to the lowest level. Corrupt nations have deep roots of corruption and these roots cannot be removed by force.”
I say no.
For starters, Corruption is the abuse of entrusted power for private gain. Corruption hinders progress and development of any country. It hinders foreign investments and aids. Corruption is an evil. It hinders success.
We observe corruption everyday. We see people lying, cheating, working insincerily, breaking queues, bribing others, etc. So, don’t we witness corruption all the time? Yes, we do. Do you think of these acts as corruption? WelI, I do. These are the seed that grow into the plant of corruption. These are the roots, the basics, and they are not to be accepted.
Do you think that we can achieve or rather imitate these values by enforcing laws, strict punishment, and accountability? All of these measures are important and they must be used, but along with measures for behavioral change. Now-a-days, many countries are working with behavioral change as an anti corruption strategy. Anti corruption slogan are displayed on bills, in news, bill boards, etc., to make people aware of the evils of corruption.
I think that the following changes are required:
1. Establishment of no discrimination. There should be no discrimination among rich and poor, black and white, and between people of different religions, races and ethnic background.
2. People must be given there own rights, so that they may be satisfied from there own conditions. Officials that take care of taxes, police department, judges, etc., should be paid more, so they don’t involve themselves into corruption.
3. Children should be brought up in such a manner that when they grow up they not only follow these values,but also respect those who follow them.
4. Religious training and teaching should be given to children, so that they can learn the moral values.
5. For behavioral change, such courses should be designed for the students that explain the evils of corruption to the students.
6. Patriotism should be infused into children.
You can save yourself and others from corruption. You, as an individual, have the power to change yourself. as well as others. You are the step takers. So, take a step and get freedom from corruption.