- To show possession. For example, It’s mine.
- To show where a letter is omitted. For example, dancin’.
- To show plural forms. For example, three 7’s.
- Used to show additional clarification. For example, that girl(blond haired) is my friend.
- We can use to add additional clarification to quotations.
- After an independent clause to give list. For example, Pakistan has four provinces: Punjab, Sindh, Balochistan and KPK.
- To introduce a quotation. For example,
Sara: What are you doing? 3. That explains what has just been stated: Our store has fixed policy: we will not be undersold.
4.Use a colon after the salutation of a business letter. For example,
Dear Dr. Lewis: To whom…..
5.Use a colon to distinguish chapter from a verse in a Biblical citation, hours from minutes, titles from subtitles, etc.